Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Something Different

It’s been a busy day, running errands, taking hubby to work, browsing in the mall, daughter has been doing Christmas shopping and I am at a loss trying to figure out Christmas gifts this year.  Not much funds and not very creative.  Oh well, something will come to mind, even if it is coupons I create to be used.  Not a bad idea actually.  You know a coupon which says, This is good for 3 dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies; or maybe, Good for one trip to Disney Springs!  Heck, I would love that!  Too often people run around buying all sorts of things; when in reality some would just like to spend time together.

Yeah, I know, telling somebody you got a coupon from your mom saying Good for a dinner of chicken paprikash isn’t the same as Mom got me a new iPhone or tablet.  Not even like Dad got me a gift certificate to Macy’s!  Yet, for some these homemade coupons could be more highly valued for they represent the love of whoever created them.  A pair of knitted slippers.  A special photo framed within pieces of wood made from branches.  A quilt or blanket made by arthritic hands convey a deeper devotion than all the expensive jewelry bought.

If you’ve ever worked retail, you know the week after Christmas is busy as people return the gifts they were given.  A number of them become irritable when they discover how little grandma spent on the item.  Not realizing grandma gave up funds needed for other things.  Too much greed and no caring for what some have given.  Think I’m making this up?  Think again.  I’ve seen it from working in retail.  It’s makes me humble to think of what my loved ones have done to give me something.  Working retail at Christmas is overwhelming and disturbing when stuck with nothing but returns.

Just a rambling thought about doing something different.  Something meaningful.  Maybe that’s what Christmas is all about.  Enjoy the moment and godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment