Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Deadly Cost of Indifference

The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it’s indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it’s indifference.” 
― Elie Wiesel


I found this quote the other day and thought about how true it is.  Many of us consider the opposites to be the most horrifying; but Elie Wiesel brings forth the truth.  It is indifference which is the worse of all for with indifference comes the ability to stop caring about anyone else and even ourselves.  We become cold, closed off, and heartless towards others around us.  We look the other way at the homeless or poor; they become the invisible; ghost like wraiths who hover in the corners of our eyes.  Always there, but rarely seen.  

Another author discussed this same thought in one of the most widely known books of all times.  "There are some upon this earth of yours,' returned the Spirit, 'who lay claim to know us, and who do their deeds of passion, pride, ill-will, hatred, envy, bigotry, and selfishness in our name; who are as strange to us and all our kith and kin, as if they had never lived. Remember that, and charge their doings on themselves, not us.” I wear the chain I forged in life....I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it.”
 Charles DickensA Christmas Carol― Charles DickensA Christmas Carol


A definite look at what indifference creates, but we keep the blinders on, never looking at those around us, or if we do see them we look down upon them and claim they are lazy, worthless, and deserve their position in the hierarchy of humanity.  

Yes, a horrifying thought, but a true one.  So what compelled me to go off like this?  Simple, a news article I read this morning.  You see a woman's body was discovered in a  house in a Largo, Florida neighborhood.  It was so badly decomposed that police didn't even know it was a woman's body.  How did they find it?  The neighborhood association placed a lien on her property and hired a lawn maintenance to mow her lawn.  He discovered the sliding glass doors open a crack and upon investigating found the body.  The neighbors hadn't seen her in two years and thought she had moved.  Can you even imagine it?  You hadn't seen this person in two years and you never thought about checking on her.  Did you see a moving van?  Did you do anything?  Or did you just wonder and shrug your shoulders; moving on and going about your own business?  

Yeah, indifference, it is horrifying.  What has become of us, as a society to not care?  I don't know about you, but I admit, I have said "I don't care" many times...the truth is I need to care, I should care, and I will care.  No one should ever have to die like this.  No one should be the victim of indifference.  No one should be invisible.  Open the heart, eyes, and mind and make a difference by being the difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment