Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Randy Pausch, Thank you

Randy Pausch.  You've heard of him.  Maybe you saw him, maybe you read his book, "The Last Lecture, maybe you watched The Last Lecture.  Then again, maybe you have no idea who he was.  Dr. Pausch was a man.  Just a man, who had been able to do things that he wanted just by not letting life's journey stop him.  As a matter of fact one of his most memorable quotes is this one,
 “The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” 
― Randy PauschThe Last Lecture

He's right you know.  The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something.  How many times have you or I slammed into a wall in our life's pathway and stopped dead, pondering on how to get through it. Struggling, trying to clamber over it, until finally we give up.  "Maybe", we think, "we need to go back to what we were doing".  "Maybe, there's a different way".  "Maybe, we should stop going after a dream and live in the real world".  

Maybe.  This time the brick wall is standing strong.  It looks extremely tall and thick.  Maybe.....No!  I want this badly!  This time!  I want to succeed at it!  This time!  The wall will be overcome!  Now!  This time I will not be discouraged by those who tell me I can't.  This time I will keep to the dream and reach the goal!  This time!  

Thank you Dr. Pausch for your last lecture.  I wish I could have known you.  Actually, I did know you. You taught us all how to live and not be afraid of failure or success.  You died, and by doing so, you brought us to our own individual lives.  This time the brick wall will be breached!

No comments:

Post a Comment