Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote



Truman Capote, an American Enigma

The Thanksgiving Visitor


My first real introduction to Truman Capote was through the teleplays during A the 1960s of The Thanksgiving Visitor and A Christmas Memoir.  Although, I was a child, the performances enthralled me.  After all Capote was writing about his own childhood memories and who better to understand them than a child.  I understood how "Buddy" felt and was thrilled to have found a character who portrayed my own feelings and attitudes.  It was a magical moment which filled me with wonder.   However, as time pushed forward the teleplays became a memory and faded until the holidays approached and I would look to see if they would be shown again.  Alas, I never caught them again, at least not until I found them on that riveting internet site, YouTube.  Thank god for that Haven of old teleplays and recordings!  I have found so many different joys there!  

But, to return to Capote.  My next experience with him came from a movie, Murder By Death, a Neil Simon murder mystery spoof which is hilarious!  Capote filled his role completely!  He owned it!  And yet, as an adult I see him now as more than just an actor.  I wonder if he really just was himself and not acting at all.  Sadly, Capote would be found dead in 1984, just 8 years after this movie was made.  He was only 59 years old.  Fortunately for us, he left behind a treasury of short stories, novels, plays, films, which includes The Thanksgiving Visitor. 

The Thanksgiving Visitor is a short story, a childhood memory of Capote.  It takes place during the Depression in rural Alabama.  The tale concerns Buddy, a nine year old boy who is having problems with a bully.  Buddy's friend and beloved elderly cousin decides to help the towo boys understand one another by inviting the bully, Odd Henderson  who is from an extremely poor family, to Buddy's family Thanksgiving dinner.   The Thanksgiving Visitor brings out morals concerning the poor, thievery, purposeful humiliation, and family love.  It grabs the reader (or viewer) with the simplicity of the time; as well as, the complexity of human relationships and the need of some to belittle others different from themselves.

It is an appropriate reading for the times we are in.  I believe you will enjoy this short story.  It is one of the few tales concerning Thanksgiving and the memories are filled with a fondness towards family gatherings we all can relate too.  Truman Capote brought forth a beautiful and yet, enlighting memory to share with us.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment